NOTE: If you don't want to wait for the big, beautiful pictures on this page to load there's a version with small thumbnail type pictures to see it instead click here

Wednesday, September 11,1997

I work odd hours so at 12:00 A.M when most of you were in bed I was at work. At work that night my mind turned to thoughts of "what will I do this weekend". This is a normal Thursday morning thought, because it is the last day of my work week. So, I thought to myself, why not go to WDW? This is also not too unusual a thought for me, since I am after all a disney nut ;-). Usually, at this point, I think of all the reasons I can't go (lack of money, plans with the wife, ect...). But this time I couldn't think of any. We were ok with bills and such this week, and my wife had plans to do things on her own so I didn't have to worry about her. She isn't a disney nut, but makes up for that by being my favorite person in the whole world. So I figured if it was ok with her I would go.

When I got home from work she was getting up for work, so I asked her if it would be ok to go out of town myself this weekend. She said ok. I then started doing all the things I had to do to go. I checked out my car, mowed the lawn, did dishes, laundry, bought a comfortable pair of shoes (my old pair had been shot for awhile), ran a few errands and before you knew it it was 8 P.M. I wanted to leave by 10 P.M. to make sure I had plenty of time since I couldn't sleep I ended up leaving before that even. I will never ever again drive to FL with no sleep in the past 24 hours. I made plenty of rest stops, and they helped. I even stopped for an hour one time and may have slept for a few minutes. But, I won't kid you driving by myself with no sleep was a big mistake. I also made the mistake of driving thru Jacksonville (instead of taking the bypass). I figured the construction zone wouldn't be crowded at night, and it wasn't. Normally I enjoy seeing road construction (it's a guy thing I think), but not when I am dog dead tired of driving.

At about 6:30 a.m. I exited I-4 at state route 535, and ate at the Shoneys that was near the Days Inn I stayed at on my 1996 trip. The park wasn't opening until 9 so after breakfast I waited for it to get late enough to call my wife so I could let her know I got there ok.

My parking lot ticket reads 7:30 and when I got to the TTC the CM there (a nice fellow in a wheelchair) said the gate would open at 8:30. This area, the new gates at the ttc, looks much nicer than the stainless steel things they had when I was last here. photo at the ttc

By the time I got on the ferry I was pretty happy/anxious/stoked (pick your favorite) and took lots of pics

polynessian resort from the ferry Grand Floridian from the ferry magic kingdom from the ferry from way too far away ;-)
the contemporary resort from the ferry MAGIC KINGDOM AHEAD! (from the ferry) nice shot of another boat on the lake


questions? comments? email me

September 1997 trip report index (on trip reports index page)

Back to bigBrians Disney home page